Our cappuccino cake was a hit! And, as always, we’ve got the recipe right here for all you Niners fans that couldn’t make it:
Dolce di Gelato al Caffe
For the Crust:
- 12 chocolate graham cracker sheets
- 3 tbs sugar
- 2 tbs espresso powder
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 5 tbs of melted, unsalted butter
For the Cake Filling:
- 1 qt of your favorite coffee ice cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tbs sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Grind together the graham crackers, espresso powder, sugar, and salt in a food processor to make fine crumbs (if you don’t have a food processor, a blender works fine). Add the butter into the food processor while it’s still running and make sure it’s blended well.
- Bake the crust until it’s cripsy - 10 to 12 minutes should do it.
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer so it has to time to soften while you make whipped cream.
- Use a whisk to whip the cream and sugar into whipped cream (go here for tips!) to form soft peaks.
- Add the sour cream and whisk it just enough to combine the two.
- Spread the ice cream in an even layer over the crust.
- Dollop the whipped cream mixture on top and spread it around to make a dome shape.
- Freeze overnight.
- Serve with a sharp knife that has been dipped in hot water.
Don’t forget to pick up a copy of Lidia’s Italy In America at Urban Indigo!